It’s funny how we all have our preferences with food. The way we were raised has a lot to do with it, for sure. Thankfully, my husband likes real mayonnaise because, if not, I’m pretty sure it would have been a deal breaker. No miracle whip in this house!
One food, in particular, that divides us though, is maple syrup. I grew up on the real stuff and he likes Aunt Jamima. Yuck. My dad and his brothers made their own maple syrup. It was the best! I’m one of those people that just can’t handle the fake stuff. You don’t want to sit next to me in a restaurant when they serve it… You
might probably will hear me complain!
I consider myself to be somewhat of a food snob. I don’t eat the hoity-toity stuff like caviar or pork-belly, but I like to think that I know what good food is all about.
Good food is made from scratch using fresh, simple, flavorful ingredients. Although, I must admit, I’ve been a little more Sandra Lee with the semi-homemade stuff lately (though I have yet to try one of her recipes). Pre-baby, I used to make pasta sauce from scratch all the time; but now, I use the jarred stuff from Trader Joe’s or Sprouts and add to it.
Most food I prefer to be homemade, including:
- Cake – not a fan of the boxed stuff at all…except for the Funfetti kind for some odd reason. Make the chocolate cake from the recipe on the back of the Hershey’s cocoa container, and you’ll never want to buy another box again.
- Mashed potatoes – growing up, our family never made potatoes from a box. I’ve had them at camp and stuff, but they are way too pasty for my liking. Potatoes are my husband’s favorite, so we eat them a lot. We get the red potatoes so we don’t have to peel them.
- Pizza – I make the dough and the sauce, then Zubair shreds the cheese, assembles, and cooks. There is no other. I am a huge pizza fan – and I would take our homemade pizza any day!
But, I really like boxed:
- Brownies – even the $1.50 box from Target. They are delish! I have tried making homemade brownies a few times and didn’t like them. I like brownies that are fudgy and chewy. If someone has an awesome recipe for brownies, please share in the comments!
- Mac ‘n cheese – what can I say? I like the box stuff. I used to not care for the homemade kind at all, but then I had my hubby’s. His the best!
What are your food preferences? What items do you prefer homemade or from a box? Share in the comments section!